Paneer Bhurji (scrambled cottage cheese with Indian spices)
This is how how our lunch looks like on a humble week day. Simple paneer bhurji (Indian cottage cheese scramble) and soft chapatis (Indian flatbreads). Cucumber and onion salad on the side and papad is always a must. A fulfilling and humble meal is sometimes all you need. Don’t you?
The game changer in this recipe is cooking it in clarified butter, adding milk and dried fenugreek leaves.
How I make it?
🔘In a pan, heat oil and ghee. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and whole black pepper.
🔘Then add crushed garlic cloves, crushed ginger, green chillies crushed. Sauté them all for a minute.
🔘Add finely chopped onions and sauté until it turns light brown.
🔘Add in crushed tomatoes and salt to taste. Add chopped capsicum. Cook for 2-3 mins.
🔘Now add tomato paste and let it cook until it releases oil. Give it a mix a couple of times.
🔘Add the spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder. Mix well and let it cook for 3-4 mins on low flame.
🔘Now add milk, mix and let it cook through for 2 mins. Add in chopped coriander leaves.
🔘Add in the grated or crumbled paneer. Mix. Taste and adjust seasonings.
🔘Add garam masala and kasuri methi. Mix.
Garnish with lemon wedge, sliced onions and more coriander leaves.
Exact measurements and process in the recipe card below.
If you like this paneer bhurji recipe, let me know in the comments below or come and find me on my social media handles.
You may also like –
Paneer Bhurji (Indian cottage cheese scramble)
- 200 Gms Paneer (Cottage cheese) Substitute with tofu for vegan option
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tbsp Ghee Substitute with oil for vegan option
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp Whole black peppercorns
- 7-8 Pcs Garlic cloves Crushed
- 1 Inch Ginger Crushed
- 3 Pcs Green chillies Crushed
- 2 Pcs Onions Medium sized, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Tomatoes Crushed
- 1/2 Cup Capsicum Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Tomato paste
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Coriander leaves
- 1/2 Tsp Garam masala
- 1/8 Tsp Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt To taste
- Lemon wedge
- Sliced onions
- Coriander leaves
- In a pan, heat oil and ghee. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and whole peppercorns.
- Add garlic, ginger and green chillies. Sauté all for a minute.
- Add the onions and sauté until it turns light brown.
- Add crushed tomatoes and salt to taste. Add capsicum and cook it for 2-3 mins.
- Now add tomato paste and let it cook until it releases oil. Give it a mix a few times in between.
- Add the spices - turmeric powder, red chilli powder and coriander powder. Mix it well and let it cook for 3-4 mins on low flame.
- Now add milk and let it cook for 2 more mins. Add in the chopped coriander leaves.
- Add in the grated or crumbled paneer. Mix, taste and adjust salt and seasonings.
- Add garam masala and kasuri methi. Add 1/2 tsp lemon juice at this stage or serve with a wedge as per preference.
- Garnish and enjoy!!!