Vegan Cauliflower In Orange Sauce
I was first introduced to orange sauce when we started living in California, and I couldn’t stop loving it ever since. With the fruit and Asian flavours, this sauce is a treat to pair with proteins of choice. I use tangerines to make this recipe.
Love the way sesame seeds adds the nutty flavour to the dish. Just ensure the measurements of the orange juice and zest are as per your taste buds. It might get a bit overpowering with the orange flavours if not paid attention to it.
I love pairing this with jasmine rice or fried rice mostly but any noodles of choice noodles works best for it too.
The battered cauliflower can be deep fried, shallow fried or roasted in the oven before tossing in the sauce. Also this is a thick sauce so the cauliflower soaks quite a bit. If you like it more saucy just double the ingredients quantity.
You may also like –
Vegan Cauliflower in Orange Sauce
- 1 Pc Cauliflower Medium sized chopped into bite sized florets
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 3 Cups Water
- 1/4 Cup All purpose flour
- 1/4 Cup Rice flour
- 2 Tbsp Corn flour
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Oil for frying (If deep frying or shallow frying)
- Breadcrumbs optional
Orange mix Ingredients
- 3/4 Cup Orange juice I used tangerines
- 1/2 Tsp Orange zest
- 2 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 Tsp Rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 2 Tbsp Crushed ginger and garlic
- 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp Cornflour Mixed with 3 tbsp water
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Spring greens
- Sesame seeds
- Boil water and add salt and turmeric. Add cauliflower florets and blanch for 5-6 mins.
- Once they turn a bit soft, lay them on a paper towel to absorb moisture.
- In a bowl mix together all crispy cauliflower ingredients except breadcrumbs and oil. Form into a runny batter.
- Dip florets in the batter and lay them in a lined baking tray. Roll them with breadcrumbs if usuing. Brush/spray with oil and bake them in a per-heated oven at 200 C for 15 or until they turn crispy and brown. Alternatively these can be deep fried or shallow fried.
- In a bowl, mix all the orange mix ingredients.
- In a wok, heat oil, sauté ginger and garlic until it changes colour. Add the sesame seeds.
- Add in the orange mix and bring it to a boil.
- Add the con flour slurry and let it cook until the sauce thickens.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Toss the cauliflower in the sauce and garnish with spring greens and more sesame.Enjoy!!!