Rajasthani Moong Chilka Dal Paratha (Indian Lentil Flatbread).
Who doesn’t love a well cooked, spiced, ghee-laden parathas for breakfast, lunch or dinner? And when it is combined with Marwari hot garlic chutney, the flavours explode in your mouth. It’s sure to leave you wanting for more.
We love our parathas and since it’s made way too often in our kitchen, I love to try different ingredients and options. This one is made with whole wheat flour, cooked moong chilka dal (green split moong dal), loads of spices, garlic, ginger, green chillies, and coriander leaves. Cooked in ghee and served with onion, garlic chutney and lemon wedges. I make enough parathas to last us for a meal and breakfast. Oh, the joys of this kind of breakfast! Combine it with a cup of masala chai for the ultimate experience of this deliciousness.
This also works best with leftover dal or khichdi, which could be transformed into this delicacy the next day. Making the best out of the leftovers and making it interesting enough to be liked by everyone in the family.
Also, linking the recipe to Marwari hot garlic chutney here.
Rajasthani Moong Chilka Dal Paratha (Indian Lentil Flatbread)
- 1.5 Cups Whole wheat flour
- 1/2 Cup Cooked green split moong dal (moong chilka dal)
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1/2 Tsp Carom seeds (ajwain)
- 1/4 Tsp Fennel seeds Crushed
- 1/4 Tsp Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1 Inch Ginger
- 1/4 Cup Coriander leaves Chopped
- 1 Tsp Green chillies Crushed
- Water As required
- Ghee As required
- Pressure cook 1/2 cup moong chilka dal with 1.5 cups water, salt and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Let the steam release naturally and let it cool.
- In a pan, heat a tbsp ghee, add 1 tsp cumin seeds, ginger and garlic. Sauté until the garlic and ginger changes colour. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Mix all the ingredients and the sautéed garlic and ginger together except more ghee. Using the water as required, knead it into a soft dough. Cover and let it rest for 15 mins.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal parts. Now using dry flour, roll them into shape of paratha.
- Heat a griddle and cook the paratha from one side until light brown spots appear. Flip and apply ghee. Let it cook for 30 seconds. Flip again and apply ghee. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds. Repeat with all the parathas.Enjoy!!!