The savoury cake, a traditional family recipe which my mother in law taught me how to make. It’s so quick, fuss free and easy to make and comes together in less than 30 mins. After a tiring work day, when you need a quick snack or dinner, this comes around as a rescue. My mum makes these too but in shape of small pancakes for breakfast. But I like to cook it all together to avoid making multiple smaller batches of this.
We love the crusty texture on top and melt in mouth softness inside. Breakfast or dinner, this never disappoints. The best part is you can hide in it, as many vegetables you like for kids and adults too. I usually add sweet corn, cabbage, bottle gourd, onions, spinach, green peas or whatever is available in my refrigerator. The addition of sesame seeds adds to the desired crunch so that is not recommended to be skipped.
Try this with my home-made coriander-mint chutney and data-tamarind chutney.
- 1 Cup Sooji/rava/semolina
- 3/4 Cup Curd/yogurt Whisked
- 2 Tbsp Rice flour
- 1 Tsp Salt Or to taste
- 3-4 Pcs Green chillies Crushed
- 1 Tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 Pc Carrot Grated
- 1/4 Cup Cabbage Grated
- 1/2 Cup Sweet corn Crushed
- 1/2 Tsp ENO Or equivalent
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 6-7 Pcs Curry leaves
- 1 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp Sesame seeds
- Mint chutney
- Coconut chutney
- Soak rava in whisked curd for 10 mins. After 10 mins, if the batter appears to be too thick add more curd or water. Whisk well. Form into a runny batter.
- Add rice flour, salt, ginger garlic, chillies, and veggies*.
- In an edged pan, heat oil and add curry leaves., mustard seeds and sesame seeds. Let them crackle
- Add ENO to the batter and a tsp of water to activate it. Mix it in the batter. Do this step exactly when its about to go in the pan.
- Pour in the batter in the pan, cover and cook on low flame for 7-8 mins or until the base looks crispy brown.
- Flip the Handvo and cook from the other side for another 6-7 mins. This time don’t cover the pan and let the flame be low.
- Flip again and serve with accompaniments.Enjoy!!!