Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup.
The weather being so dreamy here right now that the only thing needed is a mug full of delicious soup. We combined this with oven roasted garlic vegetables and it was a happy and comforting meal. This could also be paired with breads of choice.
For this recipe, I roast tomatoes and garlic cloves along with olive oil, salt and pepper in the oven. While the tomatoes roast, I caramelise the onion slices in a pan. Then blend everything together. Add water, coconut milk, salt and pepper and let it cook on simmer for sometime. I serve this with burnt garlic or crunchy garlic granules on top. Doesn’t it sound super delicious?
I love the twist to this classic soup by adding creaminess with coconut milk and natural sweetness with caramelised onions. Add a bay leaf if you prefer while simmering the soup and remove it later. However, i have not used it in it yet. Also, if you like more heat in the soup, garnish with some red chilli flakes too.
Roasted Tomato & Garlic Soup
- 3 Pcs Tomatoes - large
- 1/4 Cup Cherry tomatoes or substitute this with 1 additional large tomato.
- 5-6 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Tsp Garlic - minced
- 1 Pc Onion - large Sliced
- 3+1 Tbsp Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/4 Cup Coconut milk Or use 1/8 cup fresh cream
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar optional
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Garlic granules to garnish.
- In a baking pan, place the tomatoes, garlic, 3 tbsp olive oil, salt and black pepper and roast them in a pre heated oven at 170 C (fan assisted) for 35 mins.
- While the tomatoes roast, heat a tsp olive oil in a pan and sauté sliced onions until it caramelises (turns golden brown).
- Remove the tomatoes from the baking pan, and deglaze the pan. Collect all the juices and scrap the bits in there. In a blending jar, add the roasted tomatoes, collected juices and bits, caramelised onions and blend until smooth.
- Now if you like smooth soup, seive it through a fine mesh strainer. I like to keep the fibre so I use wide gap strainer and just discard the larger un-blended bits.
- In a pan, again heat 1 tsp olive oil, add minced garlic, sauté until it changes colour. Add the soup mix and water and let it come to a boil. Add salt and ground black pepper. Lower the flame and add coconut milk. Let it cook covered on sim for 15 mins. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Garnish and enjoy!!!