Strawberry Chia Jam
A recent trip to Mahabaleshwar and we came back loaded with farm fresh and handpicked strawberries. I wanted to make my own jam. Only after making it at home I realised, I may not want to turn back to store bought ones. The texture and taste of homemade jam is incomparable. Dense, delicious and a perfect spread for our breads and flatbreads. Use it as a bread and jam breakfast or smear it on a chapati for a delicious breakfast roll. This makes a great filling for for tarts and pastries too. Add it in your favourite overnight oats breakfast bowl to give it a delicious twist.
This is super easy to make. All you need to do is cook strawberries and sugar to a jam like consistency. Add crushed chia seeds and honey. Cool it to room temperature and store in a sterilised airtight jar in the refrigerator for upto 3 months. The beauty of adding chia seeds is that it gives a beautiful jelly like texture and mild crunch to the jam.
You may like to use this in –
Strawberry Chia Jam
- 700 Gms Strawberries
- 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Lemon juice
- 1/3 Cup Chia seeds
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- Wash, pat dry on kitchen towel and chop the strawberries into quarters.
- In an edged flat pan, add the strawberries and sugar. Cook it on a low flame. Later in the recipe there is a step to add honey. If not using honey then increase the quantity of sugar and add at this step. Cook on a low flame.
- Keep stirring in intervals while it cooks. It will release water and begin to get dense. Should take approx 15 mins.
- Add roughly crushed chia seeds and honey. If not using honey, add the same quantity of more sugar in step two. Also increase or decrease the amount of sweetener based on the sweetness of the fruit. Continue to cook on medium low for approx 10 mins.
- The mix would turn into a jam consistency. Test the consistency by coating the back of the spoon with it and let it cool down. If it thickens and doesn’t fall off the spoon, its done. Or else continue to cook for another 5 mins on low flame.
- The jam thickens as it cools so might be a little runny when still cooking. Take it off the flame and add lemon juice to balance flavours. Store in a sterilised jar in refrigerator. It should last upto 3 months without any preservatives.Enjoy!!!