Vegan Mixed Sprouts Stew.
Lunch scenes like these are so comforting and soul satisfying. This is a spicy, tangy and hot stew that paired so well with the simple phulkas (Indian flatbreads), steamed rice and a side of salad and pickles. This is definitely a must try for all the stew/curry fans.
To make this, I have used a mix of beans and chickpeas sprouts (moth beans, moong beans and black chickpeas). The beans and black chickpeas are soaked separately and also sprouted separately. Usually they don’t sprout too well if kept together.
This delicious recipe uses basic pantry ingredients to come together. However, this is slow cooked for a longer duration than usual so that the flavours seep in well. I usually make a larger batch to freeze for later meals as well. Put this in an air tight and freezer safe container and freeze for upto 3 months. When you want to eat, heat it in microwave or on stove-top and you are good to go.
You may also like –
Vegan Mixed Sprouts Stew
- 1 Cup Mixed sprouts Moth beans, moong beans, black chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp Oil Cold pressed
- 1 Tsp Cumin seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Tsp Ginger Minced
- 1/2 Cup Onions Chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Tsp Red chilli powder
- 1/2 Tsp Turmeric powder
- 1.5 Tsp Coriander powder
- 1 Tsp Roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 Tsp Sugar
- 3 Cups Water
- 1/2 Tsp Garam masala
- Coriander leaves and lemon wedges
To ground to paste
- 1/2 Cup Coriander leaves
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind pulp
- 7-8 Cloves Garlic
- 2-3 Pcs Green chillies
- 7-8 Pcs Whole black peppercorns
- 3 Tbsp Water
- Grind all the ingredients mentioned in ground to paste list.
- In a pot, heat oil and add cumin seeds and mustard seeds and let them crackle. Add ginger and sauté all for a minute.
- Add the onions and cook it on medium flame until it turns golden brown. Takes about 5-6 mins.
- Add the ground paste and cook it for 2-3 mins.
- Add the sprouts, salt and dry powdered spices except garam masala. Add sugar. Let it cook for a minute.
- Add water. Cover and cook it on low flame for 35-40 mins. Stir at frequent intervals.
- Add garam masala. Mix. Taste and adjust seasonings. Switch off the flame.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, red chilli and lemon wedges.Enjoy!