Miso Noodle Soup.
I crave for meals like these when there is a downpour or a nip in the air. These are so comforting and fills you with warmth. Those who know me, they know I love to make and eat noodles and pastas. Experimenting and playing around with flavours is my favourite thing to do on when I have free time.
This vegan soup is clear broth with noodles and sautéed mushrooms dunked into it. I cannot emphasise enough how comforting it turned out to be and the umami flavour that miso brings in.
How to make this noodle soup?
I recommend making the soup/broth at the time of consumption. Heat a couple tsps of sesame oil in a soup pot. Add crushed ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté for a few minutes until they begin to change colour. Add enough water. Mix in miso paste, a dash of soy sauce, salt, black pepper, dried herbs, and a few cilantro leaves. Let it simmer, covered for around 25 – 30 minutes. Now, sauté mushrooms in a tsp of sesame oil and some more garlic if preferred. Once they caramelise add a little salt. Boil noodles of choice as per packet instructions.
Assemble the soup bowl – place a portion of noodles in the bowl, top it up with miso soup, add the mushrooms and some more greens. Sprinkle enough black and white toasted sesame seeds. Tip in red chillies if preferred and slurppp away!
What else could be added in the soup?
Feel free to add more veggies of choice like green beans, carrots, squash and more. More seasonal greens like spinach, bok choy, spring greens and more, would make a great addition too. Also, proteins of choice like tofu, meat or eggs.
Can this soup be stored for later?
Preferably it should be consumed fresh. But if at all, this can be stored in the refrigerator in a tightly sealed container for upto 2 days. Just ensure reheating doesn’t make it reach to boiling point.
You may also like –
Miso Noodle Soup
- 2 Portions Noodles of choice Whole wheat or rice.
- 150 Gms Cremini Mushrooms or any mushroom of choice
- 1.5 Tsp Sesame oil
- 1 Tsp Garlic Minced
- Salt to taste
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Tbsps Ginger, garlic and green chillies Crushed in a chopper
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil Cold pressed
- 1/2 Tsp Soy sauce
- 2 Tsps Miso paste
- 1/2 Tsp Dried herbs
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro Chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cilantro, sesame seeds, red chillies optional
- In a soup pot, heat sesame oil and add ginger, garlic and green chillies. Sauté for 5-6 mins until it begins to change colour.
- Add water and rest of the soup ingredients. Cover and simmer it on low flame for 25 - 30 mins.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
Noodles and mushrooms
- While the soup simmers, boil noodles in salt water as per packet instructions. Drizzle oil and keep aside.
- Heat sesame in a pan and sauté garlic for a min. Add cleaned mushrooms. Do not stir the mushrooms. Let them cook on one side until they turn brown and then turn them to get cooked on the other side. Add little salt (remember there is salt in soup and noodles too).
- In a bowl, add a portion of noodles.Pour in a few ladles of soup/broth. Tip in the mushrooms or any other veggies or green if using.
- Garnish with black and white toasted sesame seeds, more cilantro and red chillies.